Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Arts- Theatre, Paintings, American Idol






Hi All! Sorry for the day late post but yesterday wasn't worth writing about. First off I wanted to say thank you to all of my followers especially all my friends that are telling me they love it! I miss you guys and knowing you're reading it makes me happy to know I'm not forgotten.

So let's start with yesterday, it was definitely not the best day of my trip. I woke up late because I did not have class. I wasn't feeling totally the positive Ashley most of you know me as because this experience really is hard. Being away from family and friends you find yourself missing everything from big things like my family, friends, macaroni and cheese, to the little things such as the SDT Sammies exchange. I am still getting adjusted to my major environment change and I know that hopefully soon enough I will feel like a true Parisian.

So to clear my mind I took a walk. My original destination was the Bastille to see Julie and Amanda's apartment which is in the 11 arrondissement and should take around 15 minutes to get there. It was really nice out and I just kept walking and walking and finally ended up looking at my map and seeing that i was in the 3rd...oops. It wasn't a completely unproductive walk. I was able to clear my mind and I also bought the sim card for my French phone so now I can finally stay in contact with my friends. This should make life a million times easier.

I gave up on my walk and hopped on the metro over to Julie and Amanda's stop and they picked me up and went back to their apartment. It is very simple but I like it a lot. They definitely have space for both of them and seem to have a great life out here. I can't wait till I get comfortable like that. After a lot of catching up and some skyping with home friends they offered me some food. WHEAT NOODLES! I was so happy!! I left their apartment a couple hours later and knew that I would be back soon so they can show me some of the Paris night life I have yet to see.

So yesterday was pretty boring but today was a lot more exciting. First I had my earliest class of the semester which was at a whopping 10:30 am. This class is honestly worth getting up early and worth being on Fridays. It is a theater class. It is with all IPP kids (my friends on the program) and it is taught by an actor so he gets very into the lectures. Also the readings look pretty interesting and we get to go to three shows throughout the semester. The best part is...i didn't get lost on my way to class!! This building is relatively easy to find, so that put me in a good mood all day. After class I picked up a banana nutella crepe from my favorite crepe stand (the only one I've been to in Paris) and then went with my other friends to a different place for lunch. Obviously I picked up a crepe just to be safe if I didn't like anything in the Institue Catholique Cafetaria. All in all I was happy with that purchase.




After lunch we ventured to the Musee D'Orsay, a beautiful old art museum, that features the most famous artists. We got to go in for free because we were students, which is always a nice bonus, but this would be worth paying for. The paintings of Van Gogh, Degas, Monet, etc are truly breathtaking in person. Here are some of the paintings that truly caught my eye.

























































Okay here are the pictures and their painters in order of appearance (Left to Right):
Le Bal- James Tissot
Nympheas Bleus- Claude Monet (My favorite)
Another Famous Monet one I forgot to take a picture of the name plate
Les Joueurs de Cartes- Paul Cezanne (reminded me of Brian haha; there was an even better one that reminded me of him but it was a little embarrassing, if you really want to know just ask!)
Les Chateau Des Papes- Paul Signac
Pommes et Oranges- Paul Cezanne
Champ de Bananiers- Pierre-Auguste Renoir
Danseuses Bleues- Edgar Degas
Restaurant de la Machine a Bougival- Maurice de Vlaminck
Portrait de L'artiste- Vincent van Gogh
Paris, quai de Bercy, effet de neige- Armand Guillaumin
Le Dejeuner sur l'herbe- Claude Monet

and the last sculpture was just something I liked!

After the museum me and Erin and Beth walked around a little and discussed travel plans. I am starting to figure out some of my plans which is really exciting and should make for much more interesting blog posts! I got home at around 645 and had dinner with my host mom, then skyped with my real mom and did some homework. Then procrastinated my homework to write this blog post! I hope all is well in Northbrook, Chambana, Rome (hi Jori), and everywhere else my followers come from!!

!!!!!!!!!VOTE FOR JOHN PARK TONIGHT ON AMERICAN IDOL!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment