Thursday, February 18, 2010

Bienvenue A Paris

I finally have arrived in Paris! I haven’t updated in a while because my adventures in Northbrook were nothing too noteworthy. I spent half a week down at u of I at the house, which was really fun, and 24 hours at IU, which was fun as well. I’ve had the best of both worlds spending time with school friends, high school friends, and my family for the past two months. Now I am in a hostel/school group retreat place called FIOP…but I’ll get to that later.
I had a few set backs along the way to my departure of Paris. For instance this time last week I found myself hysterically crying to the director of the program because I had forgotten to put the deposit on my plane ticket and wasn’t booked for the group flight. Nice work I know. After talking with the travel agent everything was figured out and I was one step closer to Paris. Then I had to endure packing. Figuring what to bring and what not to bring, how heavy my suite cases were, and how I could fit my yarn into my carry on (the most important issue by far). After some very stressful days of shopping, stuffing, folding, and weighing I finally had everything ready to go.
I arrived at the airport this afternoon, well it seemed like this afternoon but it was actually Tuesday. After checking my bags my parents and I stalled for as long as we could with a few rounds of banagrams. Once we had two hours before take off I realized I had to say good bye and go through security. After a teary eyed goodbye I met up with some kids on the trip and we all sat around and discussed our upcoming adventure. I really like everyone on the trip so far.
The flight was long and I didn’t sleep much- the many magazines helped with that (Thanks Bri). I had a row to myself which was definitely a plus. Once we landed it was 8:30am in Paris. We got our luggage and then met the TA on our trip, Sean Curtin and the director, Dr. Costello. We went on a bus and they gave us a driving tour for an hour, which I slept through. Then we arrived at the FIOP, picked rooms and got settled.
We had the day free today. Some friends and I walked around the 13eme just to find a lame selection of stores. They found a sandwich place where I munched on a balance bar. Then after some more aimless walking, we made it back to the hostel. I was able to successfully tell Julie and Amanda where I was and they came and found me! I was so excited to see them. Hopefully I will be able to make it over to where they are living (coincidentally very close to me) over the next few days. Then Lauren came over and we walked around and I got a croissant- the first real French thing I have done in France. Lauren is really into speaking French so she makes me speak it around her and when we went into the shop. I really enjoyed that. Then we sat around and talked for a while until I had to eat dinner with my group.
Dinner was plain noodles which was perfect for me. I was so tired throughout dinner I couldn’t even form sentences. That is where I am now, going to sleep at 8:18pm. I promise as my time in Paris goes on I will have much more interesting things to say then just about luggage and food….but until then Au Revoir.

1 comment:

  1. It is encouraging that you are able to continue your healthy eating habits on the other side of the world haha!

    ReplyDelete