Wednesday, March 17, 2010

1 Month Anniversary!

Officially one month ago today I arrived in Paris!! A little teary eyed, very tired, and very lost. I can't believe how in the short span of a month how well adjustment has set in. I am very confident with my metro navigation and with the help of a map I can get almost anywhere (after only getting lost one or two times)! I am also adjusting a lot better to the language barrier. Classes are still confusing but I definitely am catching more and more and little by little pacing things together. So let's talk about my week so far.

On Monday I had a pretty lazy morning-per usual- and then went to my class at 2:00. It was history, nothing too exciting this week, kind of boring, but three hours later class was over! After class I went home for dinner with the host mom. She made me noodles, chicken, and now this time added carrots. I have feeling things will be added very slowly each day to my meals. I really didn't do much after dinner. I had some homework to catch up on and just talked with people from home a little bit. Really nothing too exciting.

So if you remember from last week, a few posts ago, my Tuesdays have been very lame. I was determined to make this one more exciting then the last! I woke up early and headed up to go see La Maison de Victor Hugo. I don't know why I wanted to, but in every class he always comes up so I thought it would be something interesting to see. He lived walking distance away from me. So after a brisk walk I went to his house and walked around his apartment which took all of five minutes. It was pretty interesting because he has written so many of the famous stories we've all heard of (ie Les Mis, Notre Dame). I also learned that he used to write standing up. Nope not from visiting his house, my dad just happened to know that fact. After his house I walked around some more, well a lot. I found this beautiful place and learned it was called Hotel de Sully. It was built in 1642 as a private Mansion. I really didn't learn much more about it, but I have the pamphlet if anyone is curious about it.

After that I hopped on a metro and headed towards school. I was meeting some people to go to a museum after they were done with class but I still had an hour to kill. After window shopping down St. Michele I sat with my book, Ferragus by Borus-oops I mean Balzac, in the Jardin du Louxembourg. It was an absolutly beautiful day out. At two I met Diane and Krista at school and we headed over to the Cite de Immagration- the museum we had to go to for our history class. We had a 16 page packet to fill out. It was pretty brutual. The exhibit would've been cool if we weren't doing work along with it. It was all about the people of French colonies and how they were treated in France throughout the decades and all their history. Well after a long two hours later me and Diane went over to the area where Beth lives and met up with Maya, Beth, Kirsten and Kate for some chinese food!!! It was a great deal. 6.50 euro for 3 egg rolls, rice, a meat, and dessert. It was very delicious but of course we went over to a boulangerie afterwards to get some more dessert. Then I headed home for the night exhausted.

Today was my one month anniversary so to do something special I ended up having a very international food day- I'll explain later. So my day started with Theater at 10:30. It wasn't the best start of the day. Our teacher asked us (in French) to tell him about Moliere (a french playwright). I responded "Il a ecrit beaucoup de comedies" (He wrote a lot of comedies). I guess he couldn't hear me that well, or just heard comedies, cause his response was (in French again) of course I can understand your English but we speak French in this class and then he made me say it again. Well that was the last and first time I will ever speak in class!!! I can't believe my French is so bad it sounds like English!! Well after feeling bad about myself throughout the next hour and a half of class, Erin Caroline and I decided to head out to lunch. We found this Greek street for lunch. I got a pita with chicken and french fries in it. So I'm going to throw it out there that I ate Greek for lunch! That's a huge deal if you know me, and know my eating habitats. We ate lunch outside of the Notre Dame and then afterwards walked around that area. After a lof of walking we collectively decided we wanted Geltao. I knew Lauren knew of a good Gelato place so I texted her and she directed us to a place called Amorinos. It was absolutely delicous! I had yogurt and then chocolate with chocolate shavings. Stellar idea getting that Gelato. So that is why my day included international food.

After I came home from walking around I did some homework and just relaxed and got ready for the night. Tonight we were planning on going out for st. patricks day but so was everyone else in Paris. In green shirts we all met up at the metro station ( I made a pit stop for an egg and cheese crepe first) and then went to find bars. We were very unsuccessful and wound up buying candy and just walking around for about an hour and half. I am back home now, exhausted, and ready for bed! Sweet Dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment