Friday, June 18, 2010

Fin

After 127 days, 7 countries, 2,066 pictures, 40 blog posts, and 20 pounds later my study abroad experience has come to an end. I'll start this blog like any other describing my final week in Paris! On Monday we had our last history class. It was pretty boring considering the teacher still taught us stuff, yet we had received our grades and final exams back. I zoned out pretty much the whole time and was very happy when she let us leave a half hour early. After class I went home for a bit and then at 7:30 met up with Erin and Caroline for dinner at a French restaurant called Chez Clement. It was a nice low key night. All my days were pretty low key this week because everyone had finals and was in the midst of doing all their last minute errands and studying.

On Tuesday I had no class so I started my day with the Catacombs! I've been trying to get there for a while and finally Maya and I went and it wasn't flooded so we were actually able to go in. The Catacombs are a series of underground passageways and tunnels that house bones dug up from cemeteries throughout France. Honestly it was like walking through a real life haunted house. There were so many bones. Just skulls sitting there staring at us. Some of the bones even were shaped into designs such as hearts and skulls. It is 2k underground so it took us a little while to walk through. It was really interesting and very creepy at the same time. I'm definitely glad I got to do that. After the catacombs Maya and I walked over to the Catho and got some lunch at the noodles place over by there. We ate lunch in the courtyard and just talked. She had to go to class so I headed back home to study for my theater exam. At around 8 our host family entire family came over , including the grand kids! and we all had a nice big farewell dinner. The food was good, and so was the company. Unfortunately all I could think about was my test on Wednesday. I went upstairs after dinner to study and then tried to get a good night sleep buy my allergies really just won't allow that.

Wednesday morning I went to the IPP building really early to study before my exam. I ended up falling asleep on the benchs inside. No big deal. We had our final at 10:30 and we were all shocked the minute our teacher handed it out. Last week he told us it would take 45 minutes and it would be just like the midterm only a little longer. The midterm was just a sheet of multiple choice questions, one essay, and one opinion essay. When we got to class today he told us the final was now even difficult for him. We got the exam and it was five essay questions. We were all really thrown off guard but hopefully it went well. At least it's done with. After class I ran around Paris with Erin. We started at Macdo, and then went to Rivoli to return a watch I had just bought. They wouldnt return it without the receipt but they were willing to exchange it. Unfortunately they didn't have the same watch in stock so now I'm stuck with a broken watch. After that we hopped on the metro over to the Louvre and walked around that area of rue de Rivoli. Then we made it to the Champs Elyse where I made an impromtu purchase at the Louis Vitton store. Let's just say Erin is a bad influence. Then we walked through the Jardin de Tulieries back over to my area and did some errands around there. At this point I headed back home to start studying for my Thursday final. I studied for a little and then met up with Maya, Colie, and Beth to study some more. Then Jordan came and joined us. It was really great studying (talking) with people and by this point I felt prepared for the final. Maya and I went home after dinner and then again I tried to get a good nights sleep.

Our final Thursday went a little more as expected. It was two questions, one worth 20 points one worth 80. I was very happy when I saw that me and my friends had studied the right stuff. Honestly at this point, my grades are in and there's nothing else I can do about it. After the final I met up with Erin and Caroline in the Jardin du Luxombourg for lunch. We sat around for a while and after lunch I wanted to get rid of some of my coins so I bought a 74 centime bag of chips and only paid in 2 and 1 cent coins. It was very comical. After that incident we headed to class. Lit was very similar to history because we got our final exam back, yet still kept learning things. It was actually good that I went because the secretary came in and gave us all our final grades for the semester. I learned that my lit exam I took last week didn't even count towards my grade because grades were due before that. Crazy teacher. After a painfully boring three hours I went to grab some tea with Alla, John and Lena and a cafe to kill some time. We sat there for an hour or so and then headed to the IPP building for our farewell "cocktail" party (there were no cocktails). Teachers, students, and our host families were invited. My host mom came, and she was very revolted at the amount of English being spoken. It was a fun night and they had great desserts so there wasn't much for me to complain about.After the cocktail we all headed towards the Seine and sat around Pont Neuf for a little while and just talked. Then people were hungry (the finger food from the party did not suffice) so a few of us went to find food. Nothing really interested me too much. Maya and I went home a little while later and both just went to bed.

This morning I woke up again really early, of course due to allergies. I left the house at around 10:00 to head over by the Champs Elysee to get some last minute gifts for my family. Then I went to get my eyebrows waxed and headed home to meet up with Maya and Kirsten to walk together to the picnic. Everyone in the program met up at the Jardin du Luxombourg for a picnic at around 12. It was a great way to say good bye to everyone and of course get a good last game of mafia in (which the towns people won woop woop!). Then we parted ways. A few of us did some more errands around the St. Germain area but at around 6 I knew I had to head back home to start, yes start, packing. I've been packing for a while, taking many many breaks (including one to write this blog) and I really should just finish up. My bags are bursting at the seams and I just can't wait to see the overweight charge I'm going to be fined tommorw. We leave for the airport at 630am so at this point it's not even worth it to sleep.

My time abroad has taught me more than I can even imagine. While I haven't improved my French much I have learned a lot about myself. At the beggining I was so hestitant, I honestly have never been so completly thrown out of my comfort zone. All I knew about abroad was seeing what my friends had done and that was my first mistake- going into it with expectations. I complained a lot but going looking back there isn't much I would've changed (except getting to know people and getting an apartment together!! but that's the programs fault not mine). I have learned about so many little things about American culture, and about my lifestyle at home that I take for granite. From American mannerisms, to having ice cubes in my drinks I have missed a lot about home. I can't say I'm super crazy about the French culture but I am glad I got to experience it, and experience so many other area's of Europe. I also made some really great friends along the way. Thanks to Julie, Lauren, Amanda, I honestly could've never gone through this without having them their my first months. I'll never forget when you all came to the FIAP to greet me on the first day. I don't think you realize how much I appriciated that. And Bien Sure- because they are the only people who read this blog- Thanks mom and dad for an amazing adventure!! Not only did I love the time here I spent alone but Isaacson's take on Europe was pretty hilarious as well. I love you so much and am so thankful to be so fortunate to be able to have this experience.

And to IPP 2010- nous aurions toujours Paris!

2 comments:

  1. Ashley, you are so welcome. It was great following all your adventures by reading your blog. It was an amazing adventure because you are truely an amazing person! We loved our time in Paris and London, it was a special family trip for which we will have memories forever. It is probably a trip we would have never made had you not beern in Paris. We are so looking forward to seeing you back home tomorrow. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...I read it. :) Miss you already Ashley! Glad you made it home safely!

    <3 your friend, fellow IPPer, and faithful reader, RYDBERG (haha)

    ReplyDelete